Choosing the tableware for a restaurant and getting it right is something of the utmost importance. Surely we have ideas, references and models that we have seen in other places and that we want to incorporate into our business. But this is a decision that must be made taking into account not only the aesthetic appearance of a particular dish, but many other things.
We are interested in the long-term investment we make and do not have to replace broken parts too often or parts that have lost their initial luster too soon.
10 keys to choosing the ideal tableware for your restaurant:
- The concept of your business clearly marks the style of the dishes you need to convey a clear identity to the customer. An industrial-style gastrobar where we could think of black plates such as the Smoke Black Collection with copper-tone cutlery is not the same as a Nordic-inspired place where modern tableware with flat shapes with raised edges and simple lines like those in the Ocean collection.
- The menu and the style of cuisine to be offered also conditions the concept of tableware to choose from. It may be the case that the combination of different pieces that appear successively alternating colors, shapes and textures is required . In the most avant-garde restaurants that are committed to creative cuisine, this can be an interesting option . In other cases, the same collection may be ideal; we think of places with more classic cuisine or where the protagonist wants to give up the food entirely. Even so, it can be interesting to think of a differently designed plate for the aperitif or for dessert to get a more personal touch.
- The decoration of the room influences the choice of dishes for a restaurant. We refer to aspects such as the color range that can be in accordance with the tone of the walls, the tablecloths, the upholstery of the chairs and even the uniform of the living room team. When color becomes an identity, it must also be reflected in the elements that appear on the table such as plates or glasses .
Functionality and technical aspects:
- Resistance. It is important that the tableware chosen for a restaurant is resistant to the continuous and intense use to which it is going to be subjected. We must avoid that it is fragile and seek that it behaves well against possible bumps and scratches. It is important that it can be subjected to the high temperatures of industrial dishwashers or even ovens.
- Easy to use. It is interesting to think that crockery logically occupies a space and therefore it is interesting that it is stackable or easy to store and that its size is adequate and proportional to the size of the tables.
- Versatility. It is interesting that a tableware for catering is easily combined with pieces of other tableware if we are going to alternate different dishes. So that they can appear presented together without colliding aesthetically. Or that they work just as well in summer as in winter, or with the different dishes that we have planned.
- Timelessness . If our budget is tighter, it is better to opt for dishes that are as timeless and classic as possible. There are very current pieces, due to their texture or some details that are incorporated, which, however, will survive without looking out of date for a long time. Another option is to combine riskier pieces and original tableware (which we will replace before) with other more classic ones.
- Porcelain. Endorsed by its quality and tradition, less fragile than earthenware, it is one of the most popular and resistant materials. Porcelain is composed of kaolin (clay), quartz, and feldspar. One of the noblest porcelain is bone ash porcelain or popularly known as "Bone China" which, in addition to the aforementioned materials, incorporates a high percentage of bone ash. It is characterized by its high degree of whiteness, transparency, hardness and high resistance to shocks. In a next post we will tell you the origin of the name of Bone and White and its relationship with porcelain ... stay tuned!
- Glass and crystal For those looking to give fresh air and light when plating. In addition to which we can find very attractive designs, its strength is in its durability and low porosity, which is equivalent to a more effective cleaning.
- Melamina. Melamine is light and very versatile as it allows you to achieve the most varied designs. It has the great advantage that it does not break but, on the contrary, it seems that its particles can get into food, which is something to take into account when choosing tableware for a restaurant.
- New natural materials such as bamboo or recyclable cellulose . More and more restaurants are choosing tableware made of recyclable and sustainable materials over time, especially those that have a concept of organic and healthy food as the center of their kitchen. At the design level, it is still difficult to find original tableware in these materials but it is true that they promise to be a trend in tableware for 2020, you can ask us about these novelties without obligation!